Dental implants can be a life-changing solution for patients who have suffered tooth loss. The restoration is the part of the dental implant that you see and functions as the replacement for your missing tooth or teeth.
At Morris Dental Solutions, our experienced prosthodontist, Dr. Morris, crafts high-quality dental implant restorations to help his patients regain their smiles and confidence. But what exactly is a dental implant restoration, and how does it work?
In this blog post, we will explain dental implant restorations and the different types available.
What Is a Dental Implant Restoration?
A dental implant restoration is a procedure that involves two key components: an implant and a restoration.
- The implant is typically made of titanium, a biocompatible material that is well-tolerated by the body.
- It is surgically inserted into the jawbone, where it fuses with the surrounding bone through a process called osseointegration.
- The implant serves as a secure anchor for the restoration and provides stability and support.
- The restoration is the visible part that replaces the lost tooth or teeth.
- It can be customized to match the color, shape, and size of the surrounding natural teeth, ensuring a seamless and aesthetically pleasing result.
- Common types of restorations include dental crowns, implant-supported bridges, and implant overdentures.
- The restoration is attached to the implant, either directly or with the help of an abutment, creating a strong and functional replacement tooth.
Dental implant restorations, such as implant crowns, implant-supported bridges, and implant overdentures, provide a durable and functional solution for missing teeth. They promote better oral health, improved appearance, and enhanced life quality.
Why Replace Missing Teeth?
It’s important to replace your missing teeth for several reasons.
- Improved appearance: A missing tooth can affect your smile and overall facial aesthetics.
- Improved function: Missing teeth can make it difficult to eat certain foods or speak clearly.
- Prevents bone loss: When a tooth is missing, the surrounding jawbone begins to resorb or shrink. This can lead to changes in facial appearance and other oral health issues.
- Maintains proper alignment: Teeth rely on each other for support and stability. When a tooth is missing, the adjacent teeth can shift out of place and cause bite problems and potential damage to the remaining teeth.
Different Types of Implant Restorations
There are several types of restorations available. Dr. Morris will determine one for you based on individual needs.
A dental crown, also known as a cap, is a custom-made restoration that is used to replace a single tooth by attaching it to the implant post. With implant crowns, each artificial tooth is custom-made to match the shape, size, and color of your real teeth.
Implant-Supported Dental Bridges
Implant-supported dental bridges involve the use of multiple implants and artificial teeth to replace several missing teeth in a row. This method provides several benefits, such as improved stability and fewer risks to neighboring teeth compared to traditional dental bridges.
Implant overdentures are an ideal solution for patients who have lost all their teeth and want a stable alternative to traditional dentures. These restorations are designed to attach to implant systems to provide better support and functionality than regular dentures.
Dr. Morris uses the Planmeca Planmill 35, a cutting-edge milling machine that creates same-day dental restorations, such as crowns and bridges, in a single visit. With this technology, patients no longer have to wait for their permanent restoration since it can be completed on the same day.
The Planmeca Planmill 35 produces a more accurate restoration that lasts longer than the traditional methods. This state-of-the-art milling machine streamlines the process by producing high-quality dental restorations in a single visit, eliminating the need for multiple appointments and reducing treatment time.
The Dental Implant Restoration Process
Dr. Morris does not perform the surgical procedure for dental implant placement. Instead, he will work closely with your oral surgeon to create your custom-made restoration. Here’s how the dental implant restoration procedure typically works.
- Initial consultation: During the first visit, Dr. Morris will discuss your treatment goals and help you decide which dental restoration is best for you. At this point, he will also take a scan of your mouth with an intraoral scanner. This technology captures detailed, 3D images of your mouth without the need for messy impressions.
- Surgical procedure: If you decide to move forward with dental implants, your oral surgeon will perform the surgical placement of the implant into your jawbone. If you are getting a same-day restoration, Dr. Morris will bring the restoration to your surgeon’s office and install it.
- Healing period: After the surgery, it takes several months for the implant to fuse with the bone and become fully integrated. Once this osseointegration process is complete, an abutment or connector piece will be placed. This is what the restoration will be attached to.
- Restoration Placement: Once the abutment has fully healed and your oral surgeon has cleared you for the next step, you will return to Dr. Morris’s office. He will ensure that the permanent restoration fits properly and comfortably before he attaches it to the implant.
Dental Implant Restoration in Buffalo Grove, IL
Dental implants have revolutionized the way we approach tooth loss. This advanced restoration improves the appearance of your smile and boosts your overall oral function. With various options available, patients can achieve a customized treatment plan that fits their needs.
At Morris Dental Solutions, we consider your specific needs to determine the most appropriate treatment plan for you. Whether you need a single-tooth implant or a full-mouth restoration, Dr. Morris can build you a high-quality restoration to give you the smile you deserve.
Don’t let tooth loss hold you back any longer. Call (847) 215-1511 or complete the online booking form to schedule an appointment with the best dentist in Buffalo Grove, IL.
If you are searching for ‘dental implants near me,’ contact Morris Dental Solutions.